Prosciutto, Basil, Parmesan & Truffle Oil Flatbread


This is my idea of football food. I made this during the oh-so-important Chicago Bears vs. New Orleans Saints game this afternoon and paired it with a sturdy Tuscan red wine. Hailing from Chicago, I have to say it is gratifying to finally see the Bears heading to a Super Bowl - especially since my local Cardinals suck, still.

I will admit I went shopping with my friend Melanie for a good portion of the game, but upon hearing who won, was elated for my long-suffering Bears. Go Bears!

This pizza is a grown-up version of the classic with excellent saltiness from the prosciutto and parmesan combined with sweetness from basil and a delicious earthiness from the white truffle oil. Store or restaurant bought dough makes it easy.

Prosciutto, Basil, Parmesan & Truffle Oil Flatbread:
(serves 4)

1 lb fresh pizza dough
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
2 cups Fontina Cheese, grated finely
Parmigiano Reggiano, to taste
1/2 cup roughly torn pieces of prosciutto
1 cup fresh basil leaves, uncut
3 large basil leaves, cut into ribbons
1 tsp white truffle oil, or to taste

Directions:
Let dough come to room temperature. Get your oven REALLY hot - as high as it will go.

Lightly grease a baking sheet, spread dough out and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake until almost browning. Top with more olive oil, then basil leaves & prosciutto and then cheese (fontina first, then parm). Sprinkle with basil ribbons. Return to oven, bake until golden brown and crisp. Before serving, drizzle with white truffle oil.

Comments