Spaghetti with Lobster, Chili and Mint


Another Esca recipe - I was mesmerized. This was my entree and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I ate there.

This is a simple and wildly delicious pasta dish - elegant enough to wow guests, but simple enough you would actually enjoy the party.

From every Web search I conducted, I determined this recipe is not published, so please know I made this up. It's just as good though (or almost), I promise.

Spaghetti with Lobster, Chili and Mint:
(serves 4)

1 lb high quality dried or fresh spaghetti
4, 4 oz lobster tails or 2 1.5-2 lb whole live lobsters (I used cold water frozen lobster tails due to what what available, but use live whole ones if you can!)
1 28 oz can high-quality whole peeled tomatoes and the juice
Olive oil as needed
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tbs crushed red chili pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1/4 c fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped or whole if small

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil (like Mario Batali says, salty like the sea). Boil pasta to al dente, about 9 minutes (if dried).

Meanwhile, saute garlic and chili in ample olive oil, then add tomatoes. Add 1/2 c pasta cooking water, simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste. This is a simple dish, so make sure to use enough salt.

3-4 minutes before pasta is done (for thawed lobster tails, otherwise cook whole lobsters 9-11 minutes in another pot of boiling water, remove tail and claws and set aside) add tails to pasta water and cook, remove from water and let stand once done, then drain pasta and proceed with recipe.

Toss pasta and sauce like a salad, toss with mint and top with lobster (either still in the shell partially, or meat removed and roughly chopped). Serve immediately.

Comments