Grilled Scallops over Rosemary Polenta


Today I had a lunch meeting with a colleague that we had rescheduled three times and finally made happen. This is how things have been lately. Deadlines, meetings, dinner with friends, traveling and just about everything but cooking.

So today when I randomly ran into a loyal blog reader at my aforementioned lunch who just that morning had been musing about why I hadn't been cooking and blogging much...I felt the need to address my fewer-than-normal kitchen adventures.

I guess I have just been busy and sadly haven't been cooking as much. Adding to that, when I get busy I tend to cook old favorites. Roast chicken, herb buttered Cornish game hens and a braised lamb shank variation are just a few of the repeat favorites I've been cooking lately.

Tuesday night I made a new recipe of shrimp-stuffed sea bass and due to technical (photo) difficulties didn't post it...but the recipe will eventually make its way here, so I am on my way to being back on track.

Tonight I made this deceptively easy scallop recipe. From start to finish, including opening a bottle of pinot grigio and sauteing some sliced yellow squash for a side dish, this is a 10 minute entree. Perfect for even the busiest schedule.

Grilled Scallops over Rosemary Polenta:
(serves 2)

1 lb sea scallops (prefer jumbo, but buy whatever good ones you can find)
6-8 sturdy sprigs of fresh rosemary
Olive oil as needed
Salt and pepper
1 c dry polenta (course ground cornmeal) or cornmeal
3.5 c boiling reduced sodium (or homemade) chicken broth
1/4 c (or more) 2% Greek yogurt (or use cream)
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2-4 tbs fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring broth to a boil. Skewer scallops with rosemary sprigs, season with salt and pepper, rub with olive oil and pre-heat a grill pan.

Grill skewers one side at a time over medium heat, meanwhile whisk cornmeal into the boiling broth, whisking continuously (or lumps may form). Stir until thickened slightly, then remove from heat, cover and let stand (add 5 more minutes if using polenta instead of basic cornmeal). Turn skewers over, continue to grill.

Stir cheese, salt and pepper to taste and Greek yogurt into polenta until creamy and well-blended. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spoon polenta onto plates or shallow bowls, top with scallop skewers. Serve immediately.

Comments