Patatas Bravas (Crisp Potatoes with Paprika Sauce)


Right now, I am all about Andalucia, Spain, and tapas.

I recently accepted a position as the PR Director for a brand-new resort - the Intercontinental Montelucia Resort and Spa - a loosely Andalucian-themed luxury resort, spa and private villas opening next year in the oh-so-beautiful and exclusive Paradise Valley, Ariz.

While that means I have to leave my current job (that I did love and had tremendous loyalty toward), I am nothing but excited for the future - and a healthy dose nervous which feels great.

All of this change has me crazy for Spain and specifically Andalucia (the home of tapas, reportedly) and craving a favorite tapa and a glass of Spanish wine to go along.

I first tried making patatas bravas when I was in 6th grade (thanks to the Spain collector's edition of Bon Appetit magazine in 1992 that I recently re-purchased on eBay for nostalgic purposes) when I cooked a Spanish-themed dinner party for my family (I started young).

I ate patatas bravas again during my first trip to Spain years ago at a tapas bar, and again recently at an Arizona tapas bar Sol y Sombra. And tonight, I made it again, just for myself.

Salud (cheers!) to fried potatoes in any variation, a tall glass of Spanish wine and a next phase of my career.

Patatas Bravas:
(serves 4 as a tapa or side dish)

2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped (or quarter baby new potatoes, much less work!)
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbs sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 c dry white wine
1/2 chicken broth
2 tbs (or more) paprika
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil as needed

Directions:
Saute onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt and pepper and paprika in olive oil until softened. Add wine and de-glaze pan. Simmer, then add broth. Simmer until reduced slightly, then blend or food process mixture into a sauce. Let stand.

In the same (now paprika-stained) pan, heat more oil - enough for a shallow pan-fry (about 3/4 of an inch), heat over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and pan-fry, adding salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown on all sides, tossing periodically.

Remove potatoes with a slotted spoon, let drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Serve, sprinkling with additional salt if needed and top (or serve on the side) with paprika sauce. Garnish plate with dusting of paprika.

Comments