moo kao-ging : stir-fried pork with southern thai paste


Moo Koa-Ging : หมูคั่วกลิ้ง

I bought a “Koa-Ging” paste from Phuket. So, I think its about time I start cooking "Moo Koa-Ging”. This particularly southern dish is very hot & spicy. I personally can’t be able to cope with something that’s too hot or too spicy. So, after I finished cooking it. I gave it to one of my mates who is capable of eating this kind of thing.

She told me “it’s good” but I should replace the pork with minced pork. Yes, I would probably cook it again... ermmm with less chilies definitely.

Anyway, find below a recipe of Southern “Moo Koa-Ging”

3-4 Cups of Pork, sliced or minced (or Beef)
4-6 of Kaffir Lime Leaves, finely sliced
2 Tablespoons of “Kao-Ging” paste
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil, extra light & mild
A dash of Brow Sugar

If you can’t be able to find a paste then I have a recipe
3 Stalks of Lemon Glass, finely sliced
3 Cloves of Garlic
3 Cloves of Red Shallots
2 of Galanga, finely chopped
1 of Turmeric
½ of Kiffir Lime’s Zest, finely chopped
2 Teaspoons of Salt
5-10 of Dried Chilies, Soaked (Normally, they (Southern Thai people) would put, at least, 20 chilies.)
2 Tablespoons of Pepper (If you like it very hot, feel free, to add more)

Put everything into a blender, blend them till fine
Keep in an air-tight container; it can be kept in the fridge up to a month
...

Preparation

Set a Wok over high-heat, wait till hot
Add Oil, wait till becoming hot
Add the Paste, stir to aromatic
Add Pork, stir-fry till mixed well
Add a little of Water, stir-fry till the pork is cooked
Add a dash of Brown Sugar, stir to combine well
Sprinkle with Kiffir Lime Leaves, fry briefly
Turn off the heat
Remove into a serving plate
Serve hot with Steamed Rice & Cucumber

Comments