Kohlrabi and Apple Salad


However, the recipe is a little spicy, so I modified it so that my two-year-old daughter could eat it, too.  Here is my modified version:

Ingredients:

2 heads of kohlrabi, peeled
1 sweet, crispy reddish apple, such as gala, braeburn, or fuji, with peel on
4 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used seasoned rice vinegar which has salt and sugar added)
2 tablespoons sesame oil (Sesame oil is potent stuff.  I decreased the amount from the original recipe.)
1 pinch cumin
1 teaspoon fish sauce
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (Optional.  Keep this on the side for people who like cilantro.)

Preparation:

1.  Julienne the kohlrabi and apple into thin strips about 1/8 inch thick.
2.  In a separate bowl, mix all the seasonings together.
3.  Toss the kohrabi and apple evenly in the seasonings. 
4.  Top with chopped cilantro if desired.  
5.  Chill in the fridge for an hour.
6.  Serve.  


I served this alongside a Thai red curry with chicken, and the dishes were excellent together.

Comments