Khanom chan (Thai Sticky Steamed Layer Cake)

Here's another Thai dessert I grew up eating as a kid .  It's a sticky layer cake, and I just found out from my aunt and mom that it's called khanom chan.  (Khanom means "sweets" and chan means "layers".)  Despite how it's spelled, my mother pronounces it "nom chan".

I have found a few recipes online that I think are what I'm looking for.  Apparently this cake can be made with mung beans or without, so I'd like to try both versions.



My layers need some work, especially because my tins weren't perfectly flat in the steamer, but the khanom chan was delicious.  :)  I like jasmine flavor, so I used more jasmine essence than the recipe called for.  It was a little too strong smelling when fresh out of the steamer, but perfect the next day.  Next time I will use only the amount the recipe calls for (2 drops) and see how it turns out.

Here's the recipe, with my own modifications.  I doubled it because I figured my family would eat it all, and we did.  :)

Ingredients:

1 cup tapioca flour AND 4 Tablespoons tapioca flour
1/2 cup rice flour AND 2 Tablespoons rice flour (Note that this is REGULAR rice flour, NOT glutinous)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk (do not use coconut milk that has a lot of solid fat, or your layers won't bind)
2 drops of jasmine essence
1/2 cup pandan juice (I used canned pandan juice)
3-4 drops green food coloring

Instructions:

1.  Combine the water, jasmine extract, sugar, and coconut milk in a saucepan and heat over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Transfer to a bowl and add the tapioca flour and rice flour. Mix it well until all lumps are incorporated and the batter is perfectly smooth.

2.  Divide the batter into two portions. Leave one half plain and add the pandan juice and green food coloring to the other half. The pandan juice will make the green batter more watery, so add the 4 tablespoons tapioca flour and 2 tablespoons rice flour so that the pandan layer will set properly when steamed.

3.  Prepare a steamer with a few inches of water in the lower level. Cover the steamer, bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium.

4.  Place a heatproof, flat-bottomed container in the steamer.  (For example, a pyrex bowl or small cake pan.)  Spoon 4 tablespoons of the green pandan batter into the container and let it steam until there is no visible liquid on the surface. Next, add 4 tablespoons of the plain coconut batter on top and steam until done. Repeat this process until you have 9 alternating green and white layers. Both the top and bottom layers should be made using the green pandan batter.

5.  Let the container cool to room temperature and then cut the khanom chan into smaller square or rectangular pieces for serving. To get a clean cut, chill the entire container in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour before cutting.

Enjoy!  :)

Comments